In the Karoo of the Eastern Cape, South Africa you will find Baviaanskloof. This area features splendid mountains and valleys - an unforgettable scenery. Situated approximately 3 hours drive from Port Elizabeth on the N2 National freeway as well as from Knysna along the Garden Route; Baviaanskloof is a World Heritage Site which includes the towns of Steytlerville, and Willowmore.
Famous for its outdoor adventures this area has an abundance of plant, bird and animal life. The region provides a number of routes suitable for adventure driven tourists as well as those just seeking the solace of the Karoo with a break from city life. Baviaanskloof offers nature at its best and pure!
Some of the things to do and see when visiting Baviaanskloof are as follows:
- 4x4 trails
- Golf course
- Hiking trails
- Historical buildings and monuments
- Mountain biking
- Game viewing
- Star gazing
The Baviaanskloof Mega-Reserve covers roughly 200km of mountainous terrain with remarkable landscapes home to hundreds of different plant species including Cycads and Proteas. Fynbos, Forest, Grassland, Succulent Karoo, Nama-Karoo, Subtropical Thicket and Savanna biomes are covered within the Baviaanskloof area.
- Baviaanskloof is fast becoming a popular tourist destination, with many of the towns providing a range of accommodation options from bed and breakfasts, guest houses and camping facilities to self-catering units. Visitors to the area should plan and book their holiday in advance.
- There are no shopping or ATM facilities within the Nature Reserve / Wilderness area of Baviaanskloof therefore visitors should ensure that they have all their requirements prior to their visit.
- Fees are payable to all areas that fall under the Eastern Cape/South African Parks Board.
- Some areas of Baviaanskloof may only be accessed with 4x4 or high clearance vehicles especially after bad weather. The best would be to check your route with the Tourism Office prior to travelling.
For more information on Baviaanskloof visit Eastern Cape Info.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest event updates and exciting news for travellers.
We hope you have found this an interesting read on Baviaanskloof – should you wish to add any information or contribute an interesting Baviaanskloof holiday experience please email us at: